Now, if you are reading this and expecting a heartbreaking rundown on how much I love my fiancée (whom I most certainly do love), I have to disappoint you.
Even though I am getting married in literally one month from today, this post is not about my beautiful future wife Amanda.
This post is also not a love confession to my mother (even though she is wonderful too).
Today, I want to take a moment to honor and pay tribute to a woman that has and still is shaping my life in a very special way. She has influenced my spiritual walk with Christ in a powerful manner, she has opened my view to the bigger picture of reality, and she is constantly reminding me of my need for Christ and the total connection to Him.
The crazy thing is, that I have never met her or talked to her. In fact, she has been dead for quite a while!
The woman I am honoring today is Mrs. Ellen Gould White.
Today, July 16th 2015 marks the 100th anniversary of her death.
Ellen G. White was a messenger of God, a prophet. She was used by God in a powerful way to deliver important truths and messages to His people living in the last days. (That’s right now, by the way.)
“During her lifetime she wrote more than 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books. She is the most translated woman writer in the entire history of literature. Her writings cover a broad range of subjects, including religion, education, social relationships, evangelism, prophecy, publishing, nutrition, and management.”*
The Smithsonian magazine even named Ellen G. White among 100 Most Significant Americans in an acknowledgement of her influence on religion.
In the past couple years I’ve had the privilege to read her most prominent books and have been tremendously blessed by them.
I firmly believe that she was an inspired and divinely appointed messenger for Jesus.
How do I know? Among many reasons for that statement, I want to bring out the two most important ones to me:
- The Bible prophesied that the Spirit of Prophecy will mark God’s last movement in Earth’s history (see Revelation 12:17; 19:10)
- Reading and applying her writings has brought me closer to Jesus and His word. It has helped me to fall more and more in love with my Savior and to commit fully to His will.
It doesn’t matter if you are a Christian or not, … I don’t know anybody who has not been deeply impressed by this lady (who, by the way, didn’t even have more than a 3rd grade education!).
I want to challenge and encourage you today to read. Read her writings! They are all available online and for free.
If you are looking for powerful insights into Bible religion, or you want to be challenged in your spiritual walk, or you long to understand Jesus and the Bible better, then read the writings of Ellen G. White. A great place to start is the small book ‘Steps to Christ‘.
Her words will help you get more excited about God’s word and applying it into your life and relationship with Jesus.
May you be as blessed as I have been.
Here are some helpful links for more resources on Ellen G. White:
- www.ellenwhite.org (Portal to everything you need)
- www.egwwritings.org (All her writings in multiple languages, online and free)
- www.believehisprophets.org (five-year program reading through the Bible and selected Ellen White writings)
- twitter.com/ellenwhite (Ellen White Twitter Quotes)
- http://ellenwhite.org/content/subscriptions (Subscription of daily quote and devotional thought)
- EGW App for Apple devices
- EGW App for Android